turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2015 TurboTax Filing did not generate a Schedule A for itemized deductions, though I had more deductions than the standard amount. Was this due to a high AGI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My 2015 TurboTax Filing did not generate a Schedule A for itemized deductions, though I had more deductions than the standard amount. Was this due to a high AGI?

You are just doing 2015 now? Are you using the 2015 desktop software?

Thank you. I reviewed the 2015 filing because TurboTax 2018 asked if I could apply any unused deductions from previous years.   Could the itemized deductions that I missed out on in 2015 be applied to 2018?

For tax year 2015, the phaseout of certain itemized deductions applies to higher income taxpayers. They will get a reduced tax benefit from certain deductions such as mortgage interest, state and local income tax, sales tax, charitable contributions, and unreimbursed employee job expenses.

The itemized deductions phaseout is based on your adjusted gross income (AGI). The amount of certain itemized deductions is reduced by 3% of AGI above the phaseout threshold amount shown in the table below for your filing status, up to a maximum 80% reduction.

NOTE: There are certain itemized deductions that are exempt from the phaseout. These include medical and dental expenses, investment interest, casualty and theft losses, and gambling losses.

Itemized Deductions Phaseout when AGI reaches:
Single $258,250
Head of Household $284,050
Married Filing Jointly $309,900
Married Filing Separately $154,950

Thank you.  Can the 2015 deductions that were excluded due to the phaseout be taken in a later year?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies