Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joswald21

I entered unreimbursed job expenses and the calculation of the total expenses looks wrong.

The total calculated ($12,175) does not match the total of what I entered ($13,336).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered unreimbursed job expenses and the calculation of the total expenses looks wrong.

It is not incorrect, just misleading.  It is reporting the total that would have been allowed for federal tax purposes, if they were still allowed.  Take out half your meals and all your entertainment expenses, and it adds correctly.  This is bad design - I'm guessing that they rushed this through.  Whether your state only allows half of meal expenses and no longer allows entertainment expenses is another issue.  You can check that by going into forms mode and looking at your state return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It is not incorrect, just misleading.  It is reporting the total that would have been allowed for federal tax purposes, if they were still allowed.  Take out half your meals and all your entertainment expenses, and it adds correctly.  This is bad design - I'm guessing that they rushed this through.  Whether your state only allows half of meal expenses and no longer allows entertainment expenses is another issue.  You can check that by going into forms mode and looking at your state return.

joswald21

Spot-on Zbucklyo...thanks a lot. The mismatch was driving me crazy. But to your point, definitely a shabby design.

If you are a W-2 employee, the new tax law eliminated job- related expenses as a federal deduction. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
joswald21

Thank you for the reply. Your answer does not address the issue - possible incorrect calculation. You are correct about Fed tax law, but my state still has the deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies