turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband worked part time as an online teacher in China. There are no tax forms from the employer in China. How is this income to be reported?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

My husband worked part time as an online teacher in China. There are no tax forms from the employer in China. How is this income to be reported?

He will be able to report his earned income (in USD) under the foreign earned income section and if eligible, he may be able to claim a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

To enter foreign earned income information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign earned income" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign earned income". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. The IRS will normally accept any posted exchange rate that is used consistently. You can translate the foreign currency to U.S. dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.  In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates.

Additionally if he is not eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and he paid any Chinese income taxes in 2017 on this income, he will be able to claim a Foreign Tax Credit

To enter a foreign tax credits in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign tax credit" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign tax credit". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

He will be able to report his earned income (in USD) under the foreign earned income section and if eligible, he may be able to claim a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

To enter foreign earned income information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign earned income" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign earned income". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. The IRS will normally accept any posted exchange rate that is used consistently. You can translate the foreign currency to U.S. dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.  In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates.

Additionally if he is not eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and he paid any Chinese income taxes in 2017 on this income, he will be able to claim a Foreign Tax Credit

To enter a foreign tax credits in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign tax credit" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign tax credit". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

Thank you. Are we required to report this as income?
DS30

If you are US citizens then yes because US citizens are required to report all worldwide income on a US income tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies