Taxes Refund
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Taxes Refund


I have this quick questions.

So I made $1400 last year. 

I just filed for state and got $200 back. However, I still got $0 from federals. 

I filed for all of my stocks as well which is -$400. 

However i forgot to file for one of my other stock brokerage which I made $7 on it. 

Does it still matter? Cause my federal is still $0? and the deduction was like $2000 something? And would $7 be too small to matter? Thanks.
Do I need to refile? please help. 

4 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes Refund

If you only made $1,400 and had a $400 capital loss, I wouldn't file an amended return to add a 1099-B that shows a $7 loss, unless the cost basis in question is either non-covered or not reported, in which case the IRS will assume that the entire amount of the proceeds is taxable.  If that is the case, depending upon the amount you might want to file an amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

Taxes Refund

No,  I made $1400 on my job. and then i loss $400 on robin hood. And I gained $15 on acorns(another stock brokerage). 


I only reported robin hood since I forgot all about acorns. so would i need to file an amend? thanks.

Returning Member

Taxes Refund

Expert Alumni

Taxes Refund

Technically, if you left income off of a return you've already filed, you'll need to file an amended return to report that income.

Please see the TurboTax articles "Do I need to amend?" and "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for additional information.

The IRS also has a good tool that can help you determine if you should file an amended return to correct an error.  Please see "Should I File an Amended Return?" to use this tool.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings