• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katee1890

Taxes for expat students living abroad

Hello, I am a PhD student living abroad since 2015. My PhD stipend is minimum wage in my country of residence, and therefore I should be exempt from double taxation. However, my research project requires that I spend 1-2 months processing samples in a laboratory within the US. I have read that because I was in the US for over 30 days, I am no longer exempt? Does it matter if the 30 days in the US was work-related?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

The foreign tax exclusion requires that the taxpayer be physically present in the foreign country for at least 330 days during a 12-month period.  This IRS reference gives full details:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-physical-pre...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The foreign tax exclusion requires that the taxpayer be physically present in the foreign country for at least 330 days during a 12-month period.  This IRS reference gives full details:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-physical-pre...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

As Example #2 in that link shows, you may be able to use TWO 12 month periods during the tax year.  However, TurboTax does not support doing that, so you would either need to manually fill out the Forms or go to a tax professional.
bine22
Level 7

Since it's a stipend, it might not be considered earned income.
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

You may be correct, but because it is based on "minimum wage", I interpreted it as wages.  However, I could be wrong.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v