akrishaki

Tax filing while the visa status of myself and wife changed from F1 to H1B in Oct 2018. Can we file tax returns jointly?

We both have Indian citizenship. And have been married for > 3 yrs.

I first entered US on F1 Visa in Aug 2014. Number of days in US are as followes:

2014: 149 (F1)

2015: 349 (F1)

2016: 350 (F1 OPT)

2017: 341 (F1 OPT STEM)

2018: 365 (F1 status from Jan 1 - Sept 30, H1B from Oct 1 - Dec 31) 

My wife first entered US on F1 Visa in Aug 2015. Number of days in US are as followes:

2015: 148 (F1)

2016: 350 (F1)

2017: 341 (F1)

2018: 365 (F1 status from Jan 1 - Sept 30, H1B from Oct 1 - Dec 31) .

1. Are we resident alien for tax purpose?
2. Can we file taxes as married filing jointly?

Thank you!

KarenJ

You are nonresidents for 2018 and will need to each file married filing separately nonresident returns (you cannot file a nonresident return as married filing jointly).  You will be able to file a married filing jointly return in 2019.

TurboTax does not support nonresident or dual status returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident/dual status tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

KarenJ