turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paulson

Tax credit for energy efficient improvements

my condo association has a special assessment to replace boiler furnace with energy
efficient new one.  Is this deductible?  If so where to do i put numbers in turbo tax?  It is spread out over five years $2700, 2700, 1000, 1000, 1000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Tax credit for energy efficient improvements

It is not deductible, but if your furnace is operated by natural gas, propane or oil, you can claim it as an energy credit. You are allowed for the credit based on the only amount you paid in 2016. ( i.e. 2700)

To enter furnace expenses in TurboTax online program to claim a energy credit, here are the steps:

1.  Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.

2.  In the search box, search for energy improvements. (Don't search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong        place in the program.)

3.  Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

4.  On screen, Energy-Saving Home Improvements, answer Yes to the question and select Continue.

5.  Follow the on-screen instructions. 

6.  On screen, Energy-Saving Improvements for Your Home, answer No to question, Were any of these                                  improvements related to the construction of your main home?

7.  On screen, Tell Us How Much You Paid for Energy-Saving Improvements, enter expenses under Furnaces and hot            water boilers powered by natural gas, propane or oil

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies