turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I sell my resident home and my vacation condo in the same year. I plan to buy a new home with the proceeds

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I sell my resident home and my vacation condo in the same year. I plan to buy a new home with the proceeds

You may be able to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 if MFJ) gain on the sale of your primary residence. To claim the exclusion, you must meet the ownership and use tests. This means that during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale (closing), you must have:

Owned the home for at least 2 years (24 months) (the ownership test), and

Lived in the home as your main home for at least 2 years (24 months) (the use test).

If you qualify for the capital gain exclusion, you do not have to report the gain on the sale of your personal residence on your federal tax return unless the gain on the sale was greater than the exclusion, you rented the home out, you claimed a home office deduction, or you received a Form 1099-S for the sale of the home.

You cannot exclude from income any of the gain on the sale of your vacation condo. If you owned the condo for more than one year, the gain would be taxed at long term capital gains tax rates. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

sure but if you have a gain on the vacation home it will be taxable.  and if you rented out ot took home office on personal residence, part of the gain will be taxable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies