turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Star credit received?

Is there a way to find out if I received a Star Credit from NYS in 2016? I seem to remember getting a check back for about $200 over the summer but can't find the "pay stub" that came with it? I don't want to enter a zero for the amount if I did in fact receive money back. Thanks for your help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Star credit received?

If you don't remember what the check was for you will have to call the state tax office.  They should be able to tell you if they sent a check.

The freeze credit and relief credits are only taxable income if you itemize your deductions and deduct your property taxes.

If part of the check that is a credit for 2016 taxes, you will reduce your current property tax deduction by the amount of the credit.  It's not income, and if you don't deduct property taxes then you don't have to do anything.

If part of the check was a credit for 2015 taxes, then it is "other income" at the bottom of the income page, look for "reimbursed deductions" -- but only if you deducted property taxes on your 2015 return.  If you didn't deduct the taxes in 2015, then the credit is not reportable income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Star credit received?

If you don't remember what the check was for you will have to call the state tax office.  They should be able to tell you if they sent a check.

The freeze credit and relief credits are only taxable income if you itemize your deductions and deduct your property taxes.

If part of the check that is a credit for 2016 taxes, you will reduce your current property tax deduction by the amount of the credit.  It's not income, and if you don't deduct property taxes then you don't have to do anything.

If part of the check was a credit for 2015 taxes, then it is "other income" at the bottom of the income page, look for "reimbursed deductions" -- but only if you deducted property taxes on your 2015 return.  If you didn't deduct the taxes in 2015, then the credit is not reportable income.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies