turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmothew

Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

Am I allowed to take the Standard Deductible when filing Married filing separately? I live in the US and my spouse lives abroad. We do not have an income in each other's countries and so he will not be filing income taxes in the USA. Any information would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Since the other spouse will not be filing a US return and you are not filing jointly then you can choose the option that works best for you ... either standard or itemized deductions. 

kmothew

With TurboTax I selected Married filing separately but when it comes to the Deduction & Credits portion, it states that "since your spouse is itemizing deductions, you cannot claim the standard deduction and must itemize?. I am not sure where that setting is coming from as I have not entered that information. Is there a way for me to bypass this?

It may be a bug, you may need to delete your spouse and enter her again.  There is a question when first entering the spouse's name and other information.  Also, you will likely need a fake SSN before the program will allow you to print (they should have an NRA button but I don't think they do).  After printing, cover or erase the fake SSN and write "NRA" in the space for the spouse's tax number. 

Manage cookies