Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

Am I allowed to take the Standard Deductible when filing Married filing separately? I live in the US and my spouse lives abroad. We do not have an income in each other's countries and so he will not be filing income taxes in the USA. Any information would be appreciated.

Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

Since the other spouse will not be filing a US return and you are not filing jointly then you can choose the option that works best for you ... either standard or itemized deductions. 

Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

With TurboTax I selected Married filing separately but when it comes to the Deduction & Credits portion, it states that "since your spouse is itemizing deductions, you cannot claim the standard deduction and must itemize?. I am not sure where that setting is coming from as I have not entered that information. Is there a way for me to bypass this?

Standard Deductible with NRA Spouse

It may be a bug, you may need to delete your spouse and enter her again.  There is a question when first entering the spouse's name and other information.  Also, you will likely need a fake SSN before the program will allow you to print (they should have an NRA button but I don't think they do).  After printing, cover or erase the fake SSN and write "NRA" in the space for the spouse's tax number.