turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a home in 2017 using the VA loan. The funding fee was not tax deductible that year, but is in 2018. Am I able to claim it on my 2018 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I purchased a home in 2017 using the VA loan. The funding fee was not tax deductible that year, but is in 2018. Am I able to claim it on my 2018 taxes?

Sorry, the opposite.

The deduction was added in the middle of the 2017 tax season (Feb 2018) but still expiring at the end of 2017.  You need to amend your 2017 return.

Even if the deduction was allowed in 2018, you can only deduct an expense in the year paid.

The VA funding fee was deductible on a Schedule A as Mortgage Insurance on the 2017 tax return.  The Congress authorized the tax extenders in early February 2018 for tax year 2017.  The Mortgage Insurance deduction expired at the end of 2017.  As of this date Congress has not renewed this deduction for tax year 2018.

You can amend your 2017 tax return for the Mortgage Insurance deduction.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2017 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4252298-how-do-i-amend-a-2017-return-in-turbotax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies