turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbrame18

I loved outside of the US part of the year where my employer paid for my housing. They did not give me the money, they just took care of the cost. Is this "EP" goods?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DingnengW
Returning Member

I loved outside of the US part of the year where my employer paid for my housing. They did not give me the money, they just took care of the cost. Is this "EP" goods?

I found an answer to this similar question: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4510384

Anything you receive of value for performing work for your employer is part of your taxable income, unless it falls into one of the categories of benefits with tax privileges (like medical insurance). That includes the value of employer-provided housing. 

There is an exception if the employer requires you to live on their premises.

When an employer provides housing or lodging for an employee, the employee may be able to exclude the value of the lodging from gross income. The lodging must meet three tests under Regs. Sec. 1.119-1(b): (1) The lodging must be on the employer's business premises; (2) the employer must provide the lodging for the employer's convenience rather than for the employee's convenience; and (3) the employer must require the employee to accept the lodging as a condition of employment. Thus, the employee must need to live in the lodging to be able to perform the duties of the employment.

Before the tax reform act of 2018, employees could deduct housing costs for some kinds of temporary assignments.  However, this deduction was eliminated in the tax reform act.  So you owe the tax on the value of the housing.  On the bright side, paying 22% of your rent is better than paying 100% of your rent.

sbrame18

Yes, the employer paid housing as apart of job accommodation. So must I enter anything in the Employer-Provided Goods section?
DingnengW
Returning Member

Sorry but I got the correct answer now and edited above.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies