honeycombe8

Sold house 2016. Title co sent me 1099, despite request not to. I don't owe cap gains. Can I report the 2017 new house purchase in 2016 return so don't have to pay taxes?

rjs

Purchasing a new house has nothing to do with paying tax on the sale of the old house. That provision was removed from the tax law 20 years ago. And you do not report the purchase of a house on your tax return.

If you don't owe tax on the sale, receiving the Form 1099-S will not make you owe tax, but you have to report the sale on your 2016 tax return. When you enter the information about the sale, and answer all the questions in TurboTax, it should not result in any tax if you are correct that you do not owe tax on the sale.

You asked a 2016 tax Q here several months ago.  Have you already filed your 2016 return, and now need to amend?
honeycombe8

I filed an extension. Now am filing the final.
rjs

If you received a Form 1099-S for the sale either with a gain or a loss, the sale has to be reported.  You will need the online TurboTax Premier or Self-Employed edition to report the sale if you are using the online editions.   Make sure that you indicate that you want the sale of the home reported on your tax return.  (See Screenshot)

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Sale of Home (gain or loss), click the start or update button

Or enter sale of home in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to sale of home