turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have medical expenses for services that were paid for ahead of time in 2018 (as an account credit), and then used in 2019. In which year can I deduct these expenses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I have medical expenses for services that were paid for ahead of time in 2018 (as an account credit), and then used in 2019. In which year can I deduct these expenses?

Since the medical services were actually performed in 2019, you would claim the expenses on your tax year 2019 return, even though they were paid for ahead of time.

According to "What Expenses Can You Include This Year?" in IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses, "You can include only the medical and dental expenses you paid this year, but generally not payments for medical or dental care you will receive in a future year."  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Since the medical services were actually performed in 2019, you would claim the expenses on your tax year 2019 return, even though they were paid for ahead of time.

According to "What Expenses Can You Include This Year?" in IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses, "You can include only the medical and dental expenses you paid this year, but generally not payments for medical or dental care you will receive in a future year."  

Beginning in 2019, all taxpayers may deduct only the amount of the total unreimbursed allowable medical care expenses for the year that exceeds 10% of their adjusted gross income.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/health-care/can-i-claim-medical-expenses-on-my-taxes/L1htkVqq9"...>
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies