Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kikio

Should I file form 3520? Will it be any problem if I file 3520 when I don't have to, as I am a non resident alien?

For year 2017, I was on F1( I hold F1 for less than 5 years so far) and doing my OPT. I also applied H1B, but my application was pending on the last day of 2017 and is not approved yet. 

So for tax year 2017, should I file as non resident alien or resident alien? If  non resident alien and if I receive more than 100K in 2017, should I file 3520?( I heard that if you file 1040NR as non resident you don't need to file 3520, will my appliction for H1B alter this rule?) Will it be any downside if I just go ahead file the form when I don't have to(as non resident alien) or when I am not sure if need to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I file form 3520? Will it be any problem if I file 3520 when I don't have to, as I am a non resident alien?

Only US persons are required to file form 3520. As a nonresident alien you are not a US person, so you are not required to file that form. Your H1B application does not change that, as the application for or the granting of a visa does not make you a resident alien, only the number of days of presence or an election to be treated as resident alien does

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies