turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file as non-resident or resident for Maryland state 2019 return

My wife lived in Texas in 2019 and I moved to Maryland in Jan 2018. So, my wife had not state tax withheld and I have from Maryland in 2018. When I used the Turbo Tax to prepare my state return, I selected the "married file jointly" according to https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/individual/income/filing/index.php, and then the software automatically helped me prepared my tax return as a non-resident. Eventually, I got a Form 505NR. I tried to manually select the resident return. Then the Turbo Tax asked me where my wife lived on Dec 31, 2019. But, she lived in Taxes all the time in 2019. So, I am confused. Also, if I select resident and married, then all her and my income will be combined together to calculate state tax. But, her income is in Texas. 

Can someone help me out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Maryland allows you to file separately even if you have filed a joint Federal return. There are additional instructions in the link below under Determine Your Filing Status.

Maryland Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@VictoriaD75  Thank you so much for your reply! This is the source I referred to. It seems I have many options. 

Can the below statement be the support for my filing form 505 and 505NR instead of 502 (resident)? I just want to make sure that I did my state tax return correctly!

Married couples who filed joint federal returns but were domiciled in different states on the last day of the tax year

If you are filing separately, see Instruction 8. If you are filing a joint return, you must attach a pro forma Form 505 and Form 505NR.

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. It is possible that you will not be able to efile your return, as it wants the pro forma Form 505 attached.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies