turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I explain? Donated in excess of $12,000 to charities(downsizing) Have photos/ full inventory. Do I need to attach an explanation? If so, what form and how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

Should I explain? Donated in excess of $12,000 to charities(downsizing) Have photos/ full inventory. Do I need to attach an explanation? If so, what form and how?

No, you will not need an explanation. However, you will need receipts if the IRS decides to question your donations. Your photos and inventory would help if the IRS asks. Here are the guidelines:

For noncash donations under $250 in value, you'll need a receipt unless the items were dropped off at an unmanned location such as a clothing bin.

Noncash donations from $250 to $500 in value require a receipt that includes the charity's name, address, date, donation location and description of items donated.

Noncash donations over $500 in value also require a record of how and when the items were acquired and their adjusted basis, and if the donation exceeds $5,000 in value, it'll need a written appraisal from a qualified appraiser.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

No, you will not need an explanation. However, you will need receipts if the IRS decides to question your donations. Your photos and inventory would help if the IRS asks. Here are the guidelines:

For noncash donations under $250 in value, you'll need a receipt unless the items were dropped off at an unmanned location such as a clothing bin.

Noncash donations from $250 to $500 in value require a receipt that includes the charity's name, address, date, donation location and description of items donated.

Noncash donations over $500 in value also require a record of how and when the items were acquired and their adjusted basis, and if the donation exceeds $5,000 in value, it'll need a written appraisal from a qualified appraiser.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies