turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hayleyh2

Should I enter the amount I've paid for doctors fees aka "Your Share" or can I use the "Plan Approved" or "Plans Share" amounts as medical professionals fees?

I'm using a Medicare HMO plan which issues monthly statements with the "Plans Share", "Your Share" and "Total Cost (amount the plan has approved). When entering 'medical professional fees', which of the three categories should I report - my share, the plans share or the total cost?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Should I enter the amount I've paid for doctors fees aka "Your Share" or can I use the "Plan Approved" or "Plans Share" amounts as medical professionals fees?

When entering your medical expenses into your tax return, you only consider the portion of the expense that you paid out of your own pocket.  So in your case, you would enter "Your Share" amounts.  Any amounts paid by your insurance are not considered to have been paid by you. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

When entering your medical expenses into your tax return, you only consider the portion of the expense that you paid out of your own pocket.  So in your case, you would enter "Your Share" amounts.  Any amounts paid by your insurance are not considered to have been paid by you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies