turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jandjford

Selling duplex for profit that my ex-husband a owned since 2003. We divorced in 2016 and he quitclaim deed the property to me. I have live in for 4 year will I have taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Selling duplex for profit that my ex-husband a owned since 2003. We divorced in 2016 and he quitclaim deed the property to me. I have live in for 4 year will I have taxes

Yes.

The gain on the sale of a primary residence is usually excludable  from income (up to $250,000). But, since the property was used for “non qualified use" prior to it being your residence, after 2008 (when  the tax law changed), you only get to exclude a prorated share of the gain. If the property was rented out, Depreciation recapture will also be taxed. His cost basis and accumulated depreciation transferred to you with the quit claim deed. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes.

The gain on the sale of a primary residence is usually excludable  from income (up to $250,000). But, since the property was used for “non qualified use" prior to it being your residence, after 2008 (when  the tax law changed), you only get to exclude a prorated share of the gain. If the property was rented out, Depreciation recapture will also be taxed. His cost basis and accumulated depreciation transferred to you with the quit claim deed. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies