turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jacatc

Second home sale

My family sold my mother's house we inherited in 2011.  I live in PA and the home was sold in NY.  I realize I need to file state taxes because of the sale even though there was no capital gain or loss, but the only section in the NY state section I can find is sale of inherited property.  It says that the adjustment is not required for property acquired from a decedent who died on or after February 1, 2000.  My mother passed in 2011.  I am not sure what I'm supposed to do.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Second home sale

New York State filing requirements state that you must file a return as a nonresident if you have New York source income.

You have no income from New York, as you have stated. Therefore, you don't have to file a New York return.

If you would feel better, you can always try filing a New York return. Because you have zero New York income, however, TurboTax may not let you proceed to file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Second home sale

New York State filing requirements state that you must file a return as a nonresident if you have New York source income.

You have no income from New York, as you have stated. Therefore, you don't have to file a New York return.

If you would feel better, you can always try filing a New York return. Because you have zero New York income, however, TurboTax may not let you proceed to file.

krimm
Returning Member

Second home sale

how do I use turbo tax to record sale of second home? 

krimm
Returning Member

Second home sale

federal sale of second home?

sutnoishi
Returning Member

Second home sale

Do I need TurboTax premier to file tax on the sale of my condo (second home) in Canada?

krimm
Returning Member

Second home sale

Use Turbotax Deluxe. Open Schedule D for capital gains and losses.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Second home sale

@sutnoishi

TurboTax Premier will report Schedule D transactions.  See this comparison and scan down the left side of the screen for Schedule D.

To report a sale of second home, follow these steps: 

• In the upper right hand corner of the screen click on the magnifying glass Search icon.
  • Type sale of second home.  Hit enter.
  • Click on Jump to sale of second home.
  • This should bring you to the screen Did you sell stocks, mutual fuds, bonds or other investments in 2020?.
  • Click Yes.
  • At the screen OK, what type of investments did you sell?, click Other.
  • At the screen Now we'll walk you through, in the drop-down box What type of investment click Second home.

TurboTax will walk you through a series of questions to determine whether the transaction generated a taxable event, a taxable gain or taxable loss. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies