turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to claim the full value of a deduction or tax credit (such as a charitable donation or foreign tax credit), or can I claim less?

I would rather claim less, and simplify the return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to claim the full value of a deduction or tax credit (such as a charitable donation or foreign tax credit), or can I claim less?

Sch A deductions are OPTIONAL not required  and you are not required to claim the entire amount if you don't want to do so. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

However, if you need to provide a copy of your return to (say) a lender, they might question it.

Sch A deductions are OPTIONAL not required  and you are not required to claim the entire amount if you don't want to do so. 

OP also asked about foreign tax credit.
Anonymous
Not applicable

however, there was an interesting court case many years ago.  to avoid alternative minimum tax a couple under reported their deductible real estate taxes.  the court said ok for regular tax purposes but for AMT the full amount must be used. 

could never find out if there was an appeal and the decision reversed.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies