turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales of additional home

Hi - I was divorced a number of years ago and had to move from Oregon to California for work. In order to be able to be with my kids, I purchased a condo close to where they lived and visited on weekends. As the kids got older and one moved to California, it didn't make sense to keep it and I couldn't afford it, so I sold it in 2019. Would this qualify for a main home and, therefore, the tax exclusion for the sale of a home (pub. 523 mentions "The home is near: 1. Where you work, 2. Where you bank, 3. The residence of one or more family members...")? I never rented it and owned it for more than 5 years.

Peter

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sales of additional home

my thoughts remain the same, even though it was your only home your owned:  the rented home / apartment in CA was your primary residence so that the home you sold does not qualify for the capital gains exclusion. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sales of additional home

the issue isn't so much if you owned it for 5 years and never rented it. 

the issue is really where you lived.  you must have LIVED in that residence for 2 of the last 5 years and the nights don't have to be consecutive.  

And you can only have one primary home at a time.  where did you live the rest of the time?  Your subject line states "sale of additional home" so does that mean you owned a home that you lived in the other 5 days a week? 

from what you shared, if you only lived in this condo for 2 of every 7 days over the past 5 years and didn't work near it , it doesn't appear you will meet the rule for the capital gains exemption.

Sales of additional home

Hi - thanks for the reply. I worked in CA (rented).

Regards,

Peter

Sales of additional home

my thoughts remain the same, even though it was your only home your owned:  the rented home / apartment in CA was your primary residence so that the home you sold does not qualify for the capital gains exclusion. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies