mpsarakis

Rent in home office deduction

In the context of the home office deduction, and if I own my home, does "rent" refer to my monthly mortgage payment?
KenH1

Rent in home office deduction

No. If you own the home, you would enter your mortgage interest, real estate taxes, utilities, etc, in those areas instead.

(see screenshot)

The "own the home?" question is at the beginning of the home office interview.  

KenH1

Rent in home office deduction

added screenshot
mpsarakis

Rent in home office deduction

When I was filling out this screen, the line item "mortgage interest" was unavailable for me to modify and said "0." Why is that?
KenH1

Rent in home office deduction

I suspect that you need to revisit that interview and answer Yes to the "home ownership" and "mortgage interest" Yes/No questions.
mpsarakis

Rent in home office deduction

I did and those are correct. Could this be because I am an employee, deducting business expenses in itemized deductions, not Schedule C? Am I considered to have already deducted mortgage interest in Line 10?
KenH1

Rent in home office deduction

Correct.  You can only deduct mortgage interest once.  You are deducting it in the right place.  Sch C is for non-employees (paid on a 1099-MISC, etc)