Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mohowe

Reimbursements Received and Owed (not mileage/medical/childcare-related)

I am a W2 salaried employee, and have used my own personal money to cover company expenses. Expenses included supplies, equipment, rentals, bills, etc. My company has committed to reimbursing me in full for all expenses.

At year end, I've only received a portion of the money due to me. The reimbursements I've received so far have all been listed as non-taxable line items on my pay checks.

Is there anything specific I need to do for my received and for my outstanding reimbursements?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Reimbursements Received and Owed (not mileage/medical/childcare-related)

Reimbursements are not taxable if they are made under an "accountable plan" -- you provide receipts and are only reimbursed for actual expenses proved by receipts.  

Expenses that are not reimbursed can be deducted as work related expenses as itemized deductions using form 2106 and schedule A.  But, if you deduct the expenses now and are reimbursed later, the reimbursement will be taxable income for the year you get it, because it is a recovery of a previous tax deduction.  (You can't take a tax deduction and also get reimbursed tax-free.)  So if you expect to eventually reimbursed, the simplest thing to do is leave the expenses out of your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies