turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcnameemb

Real estate taxes are not listed in 1098 /box 10. I have a separate form with the real estate tax info. Should I enter it in the 1098 real estate box?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Real estate taxes are not listed in 1098 /box 10. I have a separate form with the real estate tax info. Should I enter it in the 1098 real estate box?

Yes  you can claim an itemized deduction for real estate taxes paid on your primary residence, even if it is not included on Form 1098 Box 10 - If a real estate taxes paid amount was not reported to you on your Form 1098, it still represents the amount of real estate taxes you paid on your residence during the tax year, and this is the amount which should be included on your federal income tax return, on Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, Line 6, (Real estate taxes), if you itemize your deductions.

Here's how to enter real estate taxes paid in TurboTax:

• In your return, click on Federal Taxes tab
  • Click on Deductions & Credits
  • Under Your tax breaks, select Edit/Add button for “Property Taxes”

On “Enter the Property Taxes You Paid”, enter the amount of real estate taxes paid on the home in the "Your Main Home” box from your form.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnR1

Yes  you can claim an itemized deduction for real estate taxes paid on your primary residence, even if it is not included on Form 1098 Box 10 - If a real estate taxes paid amount was not reported to you on your Form 1098, it still represents the amount of real estate taxes you paid on your residence during the tax year, and this is the amount which should be included on your federal income tax return, on Form 1040 Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, Line 6, (Real estate taxes), if you itemize your deductions.

Here's how to enter real estate taxes paid in TurboTax:

• In your return, click on Federal Taxes tab
  • Click on Deductions & Credits
  • Under Your tax breaks, select Edit/Add button for “Property Taxes”

On “Enter the Property Taxes You Paid”, enter the amount of real estate taxes paid on the home in the "Your Main Home” box from your form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies