turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jl2376

Entering medical expenses. Why are presecription costs greyed out and not allowing me to enter an amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Entering medical expenses. Why are presecription costs greyed out and not allowing me to enter an amount?

You might want to right-click on that greyed-out space to see if it shows that an additional list of supplementary information is available.  

Sometimes, a customer wants to keep the detail of their total costs, like prescriptions, rather than just the total.  In that case, you choose to list all your expenses on a little supplementary detail list.  When you come back the next year, you have to return to that detail worksheet to enter the new year's expenses and delete those that no longer apply.  The total amount from that list then will appear on the screen where you are now seeing the greyed-out field.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

You might want to right-click on that greyed-out space to see if it shows that an additional list of supplementary information is available.  

Sometimes, a customer wants to keep the detail of their total costs, like prescriptions, rather than just the total.  In that case, you choose to list all your expenses on a little supplementary detail list.  When you come back the next year, you have to return to that detail worksheet to enter the new year's expenses and delete those that no longer apply.  The total amount from that list then will appear on the screen where you are now seeing the greyed-out field.

I could not right click on the greyed out area  in the step-by-step view but when I went to forms, there was a plus sign in front of the number field. When I clicked on it, a worksheet came up where I could enter the data.  That transferred the amounts to the form and then to the step-by-step view.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies