turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What kind of expenses can i deduct for my home business?

I bought a large safe to store business papers. Is it deductible? How?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Yes, you would be able to claim any ordinary and necessary business expense that relate to your self-employment home business (including a safe to store your business files)

This can include such things as any business miles driven to a client or work location, home office expense if you uses a part of your home exclusively for your job and supplies or equipment used in your work to name just a few.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Business Expenses

However, for business equipment

If each piece of equipment is less than $200 per item, you can include the tools under Business Expenses > Other Common Business Expenses (start/update) > Other Miscellaneous Expenses (start/update). You can enter this as "Office Safe" and enter the amount (See Screenshot)

If however a piece of equipment is substantially more than $200, you will need to enter each item (the rest can still be expensed as above) that is over this amount individually as an asset (you will still be able to claim the full expense as an IRC section 179 deduction if you have enough income to offset this deduction. Otherwise you will be able to take a depreciation expenses over the life of the items).

Enter each asset under the Your () Business Summary page under assets. Follow the TurboTax guidance to help you enter this information.

To enter business income and expenses, once you have signed into your TurboTax Account (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return"), type "Schedule C" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule C".

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DS30

Yes, you would be able to claim any ordinary and necessary business expense that relate to your self-employment home business (including a safe to store your business files)

This can include such things as any business miles driven to a client or work location, home office expense if you uses a part of your home exclusively for your job and supplies or equipment used in your work to name just a few.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Business Expenses

However, for business equipment

If each piece of equipment is less than $200 per item, you can include the tools under Business Expenses > Other Common Business Expenses (start/update) > Other Miscellaneous Expenses (start/update). You can enter this as "Office Safe" and enter the amount (See Screenshot)

If however a piece of equipment is substantially more than $200, you will need to enter each item (the rest can still be expensed as above) that is over this amount individually as an asset (you will still be able to claim the full expense as an IRC section 179 deduction if you have enough income to offset this deduction. Otherwise you will be able to take a depreciation expenses over the life of the items).

Enter each asset under the Your () Business Summary page under assets. Follow the TurboTax guidance to help you enter this information.

To enter business income and expenses, once you have signed into your TurboTax Account (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here , then select "Take Me to My Return"), type "Schedule C" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule C".

Thanks. Very helpful.
DS30

You are very welcome and best of luck with all your future endeavors.
etaguba

So, I got the TurboTax Deluxe and entering the business expense.  I have equipment but its not office equipment it's camera gear stuff and it's below 200.00.  Where do I enter them? 

I would  just enter it as Supplies.  Or you can enter it as Other Expenses on Schedule C part V which goes to Line 27a.  I enter my small tools under Other.  Are you using the Desktop CD/Download Deluxe program?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies