Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worship Leader (W-2 Employee) Can I Write Off Instrument Purchases?

I'm a worship leader at my church. I am also an employee ( I get a W-2, not a 1099), and it is a part-time job, not my full time job. If I make gear/instrument purchases throughout the year can I deduct these purchases as a "Work Related Expense"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, the federal government no longer allows a taxpayer to write off employee business expenses. Some state will still allow this though. Alabama, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, New York, and Pennsylvania still allow a deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses even though the federal government no longer does. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, the federal government no longer allows a taxpayer to write off employee business expenses. Some state will still allow this though. Alabama, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, New York, and Pennsylvania still allow a deduction for unreimbursed employee expenses even though the federal government no longer does. 

If you are a pastor or minister under the meaning of the tax code, you can deduct your work-related expenses from income subject to self-employment tax even though you are not allowed (for 2018-2025) to deduct work-related expenses from income subject to income tax.  This requires making manual adjustments to your tax return, and only applied to people in a pastor or ministerial role within the church.  

This sounds like it would apply to my exact situation. What's the approach I'd need to take to adjust it manually, especially since I'm using TurboTax to file again this year? Or, could you share a resource or two that I could refer to in order to get this figured out? Thanks! 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you file a Schedule C for self-employment, you can deduct expenses related to clergy income.  Certain states may also allow you to deduct some of your expenses.   Here's a link for State DORs if you want to check for your state. 

If this applies, here's detailed info on Reporting Self Employment Income and Expenses. 

Edited 2/22/2023 | 9:46 am

Thanks. Yeah, this has been my full-time job for 16 years, and it’s always been based on W-2 compensation. I appreciate the insight! 

@pauloclayton wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, this has been my full-time job for 16 years, and it’s always been based on W-2 compensation. I appreciate the insight! 

This is the best clergy tax guide, you may have to register to download it, but your denomination may already have a membership in the organization.

https://www.ecfa.org/ProductDownload.aspx?ProductID=347

You must be in a religious position, not merely a church employee, but someone who serves in ministry, performs sacraments, and has some control or direction over the church ministry.   You may need to be ordained, or meet other conditions of your church.  But an ordained minister who is working as a janitor is not clergy for income tax purposes even though they are ordained, it depends on a person's duties.  Most clergy are considered common law employees, meaning they get a W-2, but they are exempt from federal, state and employment tax withholding, meaning that their wages will be in box 1, but boxes 2-6 will be blank.  Instead, the pastor pays self-employment tax on schedule SE for their wage income.  

The pastor can also have a non-taxable housing allowance (if you don't, you need to set that up, it's a big tax advantage) or can live in a parsonage tax-free.  The value of pastor housing is not counted as taxable wages for income tax, but is counted as compensation subject to self-employment tax.  So it's important to understand the difference between taxable income subject to income tax, and compensation subject to self-employment tax.

Now, for work-related expenses, employees can't deduct such expenses from their taxable income because of the tax reform law of 2017. (Expenses used to be deductible using form 2106 and schedule A.)  However, pastors can still deduct work-related expenses from their compensation subject to self-employment tax on schedule SE.  

The standard way to do this is by entering the expenses as an adjustment on line 5C of the Schedule SE Adjustment Worksheet.  This is only directly accessible using Forms mode in the desktop version of Turbotax, installed on your own Mac or PC from a CD or download.  Forms are not directly editable in Turbotax online.  Keep copies of your expense records for at least 3 years in case of audit.

I seem to recall that Turbotax has added a question to interview mode to cover clergy expenses, but I have not tested it this year.  If present, it would probably come up when you enter your housing allowance or parsonage value.  (Enter your W-2, check the box for religious wages, and answer the followup questions.). I will try and remember to look for it later.

Remember this is not available for persons who work for churches but are not "clergy" as defined above.  If you work for a church in a non-clergy capacity, you follow the same rules as any other employee of a secular organization. 

Fortunately this does apply to me as I'm an ordained worship pastor (serve in ministry, have control/direction/weigh-in on church ministry, etc.). The expenses part has changed since I started there 16 years ago, so I'm just making sure I claim what I'm able to and don't what I shouldn't as I want to ensure I'm following the requirements currently in place. I've already gotten the housing allowance stuff taken care of as I'm used to dealing with that and how to enter it in. Thanks for the additional insights!

@pauloclayton wrote:

Fortunately this does apply to me as I'm an ordained worship pastor (serve in ministry, have control/direction/weigh-in on church ministry, etc.). The expenses part has changed since I started there 16 years ago, so I'm just making sure I claim what I'm able to and don't what I shouldn't as I want to ensure I'm following the requirements currently in place. I've already gotten the housing allowance stuff taken care of as I'm used to dealing with that and how to enter it in. Thanks for the additional insights!

The ECFA guide is really good.  Prior years did not require registration to download you might find a copy of the 2019 or 2020 guide for free, but ECFA has really good resources.

For expenses on your income tax (form 2106 and schedule A, prior to 2018) you had to make an adjustment known at the Deason rule, to account for the non-taxable value of your parsonage or housing allowance.  However, no Deason rule adjustment is required for the expense adjustments on schedule SE.  

The IRS says that clergy are supposed to attach a written explanation of their expenses to explain the Schedule SE adjustments.  However, Turbotax does not allow for PDF attachments, so I think that in recent years most clergy will simply e-file without including an explanation, but save their records in case of audit.   Or, you could look for another software provider that will allow PDF attachments (if you can find one that also includes the ability to enter clergy expenses or even handle clergy correctly).

@pauloclayton wrote:

This sounds like it would apply to my exact situation. What's the approach I'd need to take to adjust it manually, especially since I'm using TurboTax to file again this year? Or, could you share a resource or two that I could refer to in order to get this figured out? Thanks! 

The other thing we need to clarify is whether you are interested in deducting assets (durable items with an expected life more than one year, like musical instruments) or just general clergy expenses.   The original poster here was asking about instruments, but I don't know if you have the exact same question.  Handling assets will be a bit more complicated to work through.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies