turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

With 10,200 unemployment tax break, standard deduction is more than income, but taxes were not withheld, so should I still expect a refund on that tax break?

I also received the American Opportunity Tax credit, so that covered the taxes I owed when I filed back in February. But with that unemployment tax break, should I now actually get the credit from the AOTC since my taxable income is now zero?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

With 10,200 unemployment tax break, standard deduction is more than income, but taxes were not withheld, so should I still expect a refund on that tax break?

LOOK at your return ... the max amount of the AOTC you can get refunded is $1000 so if your tax liability was zero originally and you have $1000 on line 29 of the form 1040 then there will be no more refund to get.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Should I still expect a refund on that tax break?

A.  No.  Your tax is unready 0.  While there are exceptions, to that general statement, you do do not appear to qualify.

Q. Should I now actually get the credit from the AOTC since my taxable income is now zero?

A.  Yes. The AOTC has two parts, refundable and non-refundable. You still get the refundable portion (up to $1000). The refundable portion is shown on line 29 of form 1040 and will not change because of the $10,200 unemployment tax break . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies