turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I receive the $3000 child tax credit?

Will the new $3000 tax credit show on my 2020 taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

The new $3,000 tax credit is still a project of the new Administration. It is not enacted into law yet.

TurboTax will always be updated with new tax laws.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello... and Good afternoon,

Now that Joe Biden has signed everything into law how do we get the 3000.00 tax credit distributed monthly?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Now that the law was passed and signed by the president, now IRS has to determine how it will be implemented into their system and the Internal Revenue Tax Code.

Once they make each of those decisions, they will also have to notify the tax software companies so they can make the changes in  their software.

They are currently very busy trying to make these changes, process current year returns, as well as they are still processing paper filed 2019 returns.

Here is what we know so far::

Starting in tax year 2021, the Plan increases the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 to:

• $3,600 for each child under 6
  • $3,000 for each child age 6–17

It also makes the credit fully refundable, meaning you’ll be eligible to get it even if you don’t owe taxes.

Starting in July, payments for the Credit will be sent in advance so you won’t have to wait to file your 2021 taxes to receive that amount.

You don’t have to do anything to get these payments. The IRS will likely determine eligibility based on your most recent tax filing.

For additional information, please refer to the following link:

How will the new tax law affect me

IRS has posted this message on their site:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

Okay so then will it be 3000.00 or will it just be 1000.00 to add to the 2000.00 tax credit from 2020? By the way thanks for the answer and quick responses!! 🙂

As indicated above, it is not effective until the 2021 tax year (returns filed in 2022).

@scolden1127 wrote:

Okay so then will it be 3000.00 or will it just be 1000.00 to add to the 2000.00 tax credit from 2020? By the way thanks for the answer and quick responses!! 🙂

What the law says is that taxpayers should be paid monthly (or less often if the IRS can't handle monthly payments) starting July 1, 2021, and then the credit would not be paid on your tax return.

We might presume that if the credit is paid starting July 1, 2021, using 2020 information, and you have a change in circumstances during 2021, there will be a way to update the IRS and reconcile the credit on your tax return, to collect more (or pay back excess) but the IRS has not released any forms, instructions or procedures.  It will likely take them months to fully come up with their solution. 

@SweetieJean  As mentioned above... 

"It also makes the credit fully refundable, meaning you’ll be eligible to get it even if you don’t owe taxes.

Starting in "July", payments for the Credit will be sent in advance so you won’t have to wait to file your 2021 taxes to receive that amount." 

I'm sorry did I read this wrong and I was not trying to make you upset as it seems you were a little irritated by my new question based on the context of your reply. Sorry... jeeze!

Actually, the other poster and I were typing at the same time (and we don't always know that), and sometimes our replies do not go through right away.

Manage cookies