Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TraciB

Will I be eligible for a child tax credit if I did not earn any income in 2022!

will I be eligible for a child tax credit if I did not earn any income in 2022?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Will I be eligible for a child tax credit if I did not earn any income in 2022!

Yes, you may claim part of the Child Tax Credit (see below)  even if you received no income and paid no U.S. Social Security taxes.

If your available Child Tax Credit is greater than your tax liability, which could be true in your tax situation if you had no income, the Child Tax Credit can only reduce your tax bill to zero — you don’t get any unused portion of the credit back as a refund.

However, you may be able to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit, which allows you to receive up to $1,500 of the $2,000 Child Tax Credit per child as a refund for 2022.  This means you get a check for the remaining Child Tax Credit (up to $1,500 per child) after your tax bill is reduced to zero.

To determine whether you’re eligible to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit, you can fill out the Child Tax Credit Worksheet included in the Form 1040 instructions.  If you qualify, the worksheet will direct you to fill out Schedule 8812 to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit.

If you use TurboTax to prepare your tax return, you don’t need to fill out any worksheets or worry about which forms to use. TurboTax will ask you a few simple questions about your dependents and income, calculate your credit, and fill in all of the right forms for you.

@TraciB

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies