turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be charged tax on the sale of a car, when a bank refinance mandated that I pay off the lease early? Payoff amount in the loan was $10320, sale of car $12000.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bees
Level 7

Will I be charged tax on the sale of a car, when a bank refinance mandated that I pay off the lease early? Payoff amount in the loan was $10320, sale of car $12000.

Your cost basis is the amount your contract on the car was originally. If that was over the amount you sold it for you will not have a gain-so no tax due.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

sales tax is paid by purchaser not the seller.     however, if after going off  lease your purchase the vehicle, then in some states like Illinois, you will be required to pay sales tax on the purchase price with no credit for the sales tax you may have paid when you leased it.    

Thank you for the reply. I am wondering if I will be charged income tax if I am able to sell it for more than the lease payoff amount of $10320. I will possibly make $1700 on the sale, and I am wondering how much income tax will be taken from that profit.

Bees
Level 7

Your cost basis is the amount your contract on the car was originally. If that was over the amount you sold it for you will not have a gain-so no tax due.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies