turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would my kids be marked as exemptions on my 2020 tax return?

My wife got unemployment in 2020 and that was the only income we had. When looking through our tax return my wife noticed that the was a check under all of our kids that marked them as exemptions. There was nothing on the line for the ctc on or tax forms.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ok ...  the dependents are either marked as "qualified for CTC"  or  "credit for other dep" depending on their age.  Even though there are no dependent exemptions from 2018 to 2025 they still are eligible for one of the credits  even it you don't get them.  

Now to get the CTC you had to have earned income which unemployment is not  ... and to get the other credit you had to have federal taxes to negate which you also may not have.   

So did you have earned income on the 2019 return ?   If so in the EIC or CTC section you had the option to use the "lookback" function to see if you qualify for either of these credits on the 2020 return using the 2019 information.  

child born CTC form 1040.jpg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Ok ...  the dependents are either marked as "qualified for CTC"  or  "credit for other dep" depending on their age.  Even though there are no dependent exemptions from 2018 to 2025 they still are eligible for one of the credits  even it you don't get them.  

Now to get the CTC you had to have earned income which unemployment is not  ... and to get the other credit you had to have federal taxes to negate which you also may not have.   

So did you have earned income on the 2019 return ?   If so in the EIC or CTC section you had the option to use the "lookback" function to see if you qualify for either of these credits on the 2020 return using the 2019 information.  

child born CTC form 1040.jpg

Maybe they fixed it (but maybe not), but I seem to recall that TurboTax was NOT prompting people for the lookback provision when there was currently $0 of earned income.

So *IF* that is still the case, I'm not sure how you would access that (unless you are using the CD/downloaded version).

My wife worked in 2019 so we did have earned income then.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies