Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why isn't my standard deduction being subtracted from my gross income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why do you think it is not?  Do you see your standard deduction on line 9?  Follow the big long math calculation on your Form 1040.  TurboTax does an excellent job of calculating if your data is entered correctly.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It looks like I'm paying taxes based on my gross income which makes me owe$8300 instead of getting a refund of $400 when I rough things out on a 1040 form I down loaded. The standard deduction is what's best for me but the Turbo tax program doesn't seem to be subtracting it.

It looks like I'm paying taxes based on my gross income which makes me owe$8300 instead of getting a refund of $400 when I rough things out on a 1040 form I down loaded. The standard deduction is what's best for me but the Turbo tax program doesn't seem to be subtracting it.

@grandcentral1421 We cannot see your screen or your tax return.  if you are using a paid version of the software, contact customer support and have a conversation with someone who will be able to help you understand.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time   Monday - Friday

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Bees
Level 7

Are you self-employed? Could the tax you owe be for self employment taxes rather then income tax?

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies