turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is TT reporting my mortgage interest as "not reported on a 1098" when I said it WAS on a 1098?

I have 3 1098's for 2020. Two are for the primary mortgage which I refinanced in late 2020 and the 3rd is for the 2nd mortgage (Home Equity Loan) which was NOT refinanced. I've indicated on each that a 1098 was received; however, on the Home Interest Worksheet, it is showing only the HEL as being reported on a 1098 (line 8a). The other 2 are indicated as not having been reported on a 1098 (line 8b). Why is it doing this and does it impact how or how much of the mortgage interest is considered deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Why is TT reporting my mortgage interest as "not reported on a 1098" when I said it WAS on a 1098?

It won't affect your tax return at all. The mortgage interest is deductible even if not reported on a form 1098. I would have to see your tax return to comment on why it is being reported that way.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, ThomasM125. I would love to show you my tax return, but since I can't upgrade from my Costco TT purchase to a TT Live version, I'm not sure how I can do that. 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax Live is available for TurboTax Online customers only. TurboTax Live isn't available in the TurboTax CD/Download software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies