turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does it show me “No vehicle deduction is available” for my rideshare income deductions? I’m trying to do deductions through mileage driven.

I didn’t drive much this year, about 20% of the whole year mileage.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
JohnCM35
Returning Member

Why does it show me “No vehicle deduction is available” for my rideshare income deductions? I’m trying to do deductions through mileage driven.

I am having the same issue. Rideshare driver for Uber and Lyft. TurboTax self employed is not letting me deduct mileage related to driving for Uber/Lyft. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

At what screen are you receiving this message?  Have you tried to enter the vehicle expenses against self-employment income or W-2 income?

If you are reporting self-employment income, you may be able to: 

• Deduct the actual costs of maintaining a vehicle that was used for business purposes, or
  • Claim a standard mileage rate times the number of business miles recorded in a contemporaneous mileage log. 

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, to record vehicle expenses against self-employment income, follow these steps. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Income & expenses.
  • Under Your income and expenses, scroll down to Self-employment income and expenses.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment income.
  • Click on Edit to the right of the business activity.
  • At the screen Here’s your xxx info, click on Add expenses for this work.
  • Click next to the expense Vehicle.  Click Continue.
  • To the right of Vehicle, click Edit.
  • Answer the interview questions about business vehicle use. 

See this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnCM35
Returning Member

I am entering the expense under my self employment income as a rideshare driver. The vehicle expenses category is already there. It correctly shows my mileage deduction from 2019. However when I try to add my mileage for 2020, at the end of the interview questions it says “it turns out you don’t get this deduction” and under in a grey box “No vehicle deduction for this Toyota Prius”

this is the 3rd year I’m filing with the same vehicle. Never had any problems in the previous 2 years. 

Exactly the same situation with me. I am choosing mileage option and doing everything correctly, but in the end it’s showing the same message, regardless of how many miles I put in. Tried it 7 times yesterday and had same outcome each time.

Here's how to edit your rideshare vehicle expenses:

1. Click Federal
  2. Click Income & Expenses
  3. Review or Start Self-employment income and expenses
  4. Enter the business if it is not already listed in the program
  5. Answer any interview questions necessary.  It's possible you may have missed something.
  6. Be sure you've entered Rideshare driving for type of business. Vehicle Expenses will be the top expense category.  If not, click Start, Edit, or Review next to Vehicle  to add expenses.  This will appear below Add Income.

Tax Tips for Rideshare Drivers

Since you're an independent business owner, just about any money you spend on your gig as a ride-share driver will be a tax-deductible business expense. The first thing that probably comes to mind is your car. There are two ways to take a deduction for the business use of your car:

• Deduct the actual expenses of operating the vehicle for business, including gas, oil, repairs, insurance, maintenance and depreciation or lease payments.
  • Take the standard IRS mileage deduction. As of 2020, the rate is 57.5 cents per mile driven for business use.

If you use your car for both ride-sharing and personal transportation, you can deduct only the portion of your expenses that apply to the business use. And whichever type of deduction you claim, it's critical that you keep thorough records. The IRS could disallow any tax deductions you can't support with:

• Receipts
  • Mileage logs
  • Any other documentation

@JohnCM35

JohnCM35
Returning Member

Thank you. 

ive tried probably over 20 times now. This is my 3rd year using TurboTax self employed. I’m not doing anything different this year. It even shows my 2019 mileage deduction correctly next to ‘vehicle.’

is it possible to have someone investigate what’s going on? I think there is a problem with your software. 

Same here, I’ve followed instructions every single time and did it last year without any issues. Looks like a software issue to me as well. Could you please look into this and let us know on how to proceed?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Technical is working on sch C vehicle expenses.  Here is a link just for your rideshare income, Sharing Economy  To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary

@kostolom

Dleonard5

Same issue here. I have redone it since the middle of January every day and nothing works

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There is a technical issue and TurboTax is working to fix it.  We do not have a date when this will be fixed.

Technical is working on sch C vehicle expenses.  Here is a link just for your rideshare income, Sharing Economy  To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary. Per @AmyC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies