turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I show the short-term capital loss in an India PMS?

I had a short-term capital loss from a Portfolio Management Services (PMS) in India. This loss is more than the ordinary dividends, thereby making the net negative. But TT does not let me enter a negative amount in box 1a of 1099-DIV. So should I enter 0 and not get any credit for the loss? Looks like I cannot combine it with Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG) in box 2a as it is for LTCG only.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

l loss from a sale of stocks in the portfolio?  Stock sales are reported in a different area than dividends.  Did they issue you a 1099B showing the gross proceeds?   You wont be able to just enter a short term loss, you'll need the gross proceeds and the basis, the program will figure the net gain/loss.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a loss from the sale of stocks in the portfolio. In addition, I have long-term capital gains from the sale of stocks in the portfolio. They have issued a brokerage report that has all the details including cost basis, etc. I have entered them in the 1099-B section. The foreign bank does not issue a 1099-B report per se for U.S. reporting. I have entered the summary details as Box C and Box F and need to mail in the statement as there are 100+ trades. I presume as I have entered it there, I should not enter them in the 1099-DIV as it would be double entry? But do I need to specify these are foreign transactions? I don't see any option to specify that. In the 1099-DIV I enter $0.01 in Box 7 Foreign Tax Paid even though no tax is withheld so that TT realizes it is a foreign income and asks me how much of the income was foreign income

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies