rancholaguna

Where do I input my dependent child’s w-2?

MinhT1

If your dependent child has income in 2019, you do not report your child's income (form W-2) on your tax return.

You can still claim him/her as a dependent if he/she did not provide more than half of his/her own support for the year and he/she was under 19 at the end of 2019 (or under 24 and a full time student).

Your child is not required to file a tax return if wages on W-2 are less than $12,200. However, if he/she had tax withheld, he/she can file a tax return to obtain a refund of those taxes withheld. He/she has to indicate on the tax return that he/she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

MinhT1

davidruan7

Thanks for answer to this question that I also have,

two related questions:

1) Is there any change in 2020 tax filing regarding dependent child's w-2?

2) On my child's w-2, no fed or state tax withhold, but there are number on  SSN tax withheld and also medicare tax withheld, are those refundable?

Thanks,

Hal_Al

Q,1) Is there any change in 2020 tax filing regarding dependent child's w-2?

A. 1) No.

Q. 2) On my child's w-2, there are number on  SSN tax withheld and also Medicare tax withheld, are those refundable?

A. 2). Social security and Medicare tax withheld (boxes 4 & 6) are not refundable.

JohnW152

Yes, the filing requirements for a child claimed as a dependent have changed slightly since last year.  Please see the TurboTax Help article Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent? for guidance.

As for Medicare and Social Security withholding, no, they’re not refundable.