turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Smp47
Returning Member

When will TurboTax show an adjusted AGI- filed taxes early but qualify for unemployment tax relief

I filed my taxes in February, before the $10,200 unemployment tax relief was offered. I have seen multiple other users stating that their tax forms were updated on TurboTax to reflect their adjusted AGI after the $10,200 of unemployment was removed. This has not occurred on mine. Nothing has adjusted. My information remains the same as it did when I filed it in February. I understand that the IRS is taking awhile to process these refunds. I am just confused as to why TurboTax has not updated my information. It seems that if this was done for some users, it would be done for all. Who would I speak to about this issue?  I need my tax forms with the correct information on it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When will TurboTax show an adjusted AGI- filed taxes early but qualify for unemployment tax relief

your return will not be updated.  changing the AGI on your 2020 return from what was on the filed return would probably prevent you from e-filing in 2021. the IRS will modify, but not amend, your 2020 filing for the UC exclsuion.  it may take many months for you to get the refund 

Smp47
Returning Member

Thank you for the response. That is odd though. I have read many other people stating that theIR return was updated on TurboTax to reflect the $10,200 deduction from their AGI. They indicated that their return numbers physically changed and the AGI reflected $10,200 less than it did when they originally filed it. It also updated what their new return amount should be after the change. This is what I was expecting to happen. 

If you didn't file early or Turbo Tax updated your return,  your unemployment compensation will be on Schedule 1 line 7.  The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax.  But if you log back into your Turbo Tax Account it may update and show the new refund.  But they might have stopped doing that and put users returns back to the way it was actually filed.

TT accidentally changed the Online program when the unemployment exclusion was operational and quickly realized they should not have done that and undid the change putting all the early filed returns back to how they were originally filed so the 2020 AGI would transfer to the 2021 return correctly so you can efile seamlessly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies