turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mvsizer57

What's the proceedure in filing for EITC when i am play child support, but my child does not live with me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

What's the proceedure in filing for EITC when i am play child support, but my child does not live with me?

TurboTax will automatically determine if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit EITC based upon your input when you prepare your tax return.

One of the requirements to receive the EITC is that the qualifying child must have lived with you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) for more than half the year in the United States (unless you were in the military).

You have indicated in your question that the child does not live with you.  That being the case, you would not be eligible for the EITC.

The link What is a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit (EIC) in 2019? provides information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will automatically determine if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit EITC based upon your input when you prepare your tax return.

One of the requirements to receive the EITC is that the qualifying child must have lived with you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) for more than half the year in the United States (unless you were in the military).

You have indicated in your question that the child does not live with you.  That being the case, you would not be eligible for the EITC.

The link What is a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit (EIC) in 2019? provides information that you may find useful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And child support is not deductible on your tax return, nor do you enter it anywhere on your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can qualify for the EIC without a qualifying child if you are at least age 25 but under age 65 and your earned income and AGI are both less than the lowest amounts on the table which for 2019 is $15,570 ($21,370  married filing jointly).

EIC Qualifications

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-ea...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies