turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

what exactly is "Solar Electric Costs?

The explanation of this on the software does not make any sense to me. "Enter the amount you paid for any property". 

Property means the cost of the real estate. Do they mean the cost of the solar installation? Of the cost of the solar panels cost for this year only? 

This needs more clarification. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Property is anything you can assert ownership of.  Real property is real estate.  (My car is certainly my property.  Or think about "intellectual property.")

In this case, the solar electric credit is eligible on the cost of the solar system. You can also include costs for site preparation and hookup.  

In this case the term comes directly from the statute. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/25D

I claimed the credit on 2018 return but I have a carry over of $17k. I answered that I have a carry over but i don't see where to enter that. Is this the place to enter that?

I haven’t use that section of the program recently, but if it asks you, did you have cost in 2019? The answer is no. You may get a question about prior your carryovers on the next screen. Try just keep going forward in the interview. (If you use used the same TurboTax account last year, the carryover should automatically be applied.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies