turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do about Max Benefits, error to enter state and zip? I live in a foreign country.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

What do I do about Max Benefits, error to enter state and zip? I live in a foreign country.

Do you have a US billing address for your credit card? 

We accept credit, debit, and pre-paid cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover logo. Like many other U.S. online merchants, we can only process cards with a U.S. billing address. 

If you are trying to pay for your return, this can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. If you have only one letter as your first name, change this to your full first name, as shown on your social security card.  

1. Click on the Personal Info tab at the top  

2. Make the necessary changes to your personal Information  

3. Click the File tab at the top and click Start next to Step 1  

4. Continue to pay for TurboTax Online  

5. Continue through the interview until, in Step 3, you've signed the consent form for MAX Assist & Defend 

6. Return to Personal Info and set your mailing address back to the correct address, as described in steps 1-3, before transmitting your return  

If you have an issue e-filing after the above steps, try this solution. 

If you entered a Foreign Address and at one time had a US address in your information and are finding the US address remaining in the background during error check - try these steps to resolve this issue -  

• Return to the My Info section and select the edit next to your mailing address 

• Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address 

• You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present 

• Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address 

• Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Do you have a US billing address for your credit card? 

We accept credit, debit, and pre-paid cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover logo. Like many other U.S. online merchants, we can only process cards with a U.S. billing address. 

If you are trying to pay for your return, this can be resolved by temporarily changing your information under Personal Info, then changing it back before filing your return. If you have a foreign address, enter the U.S. billing address for the card you're trying to use. If you have only one letter as your first name, change this to your full first name, as shown on your social security card.  

1. Click on the Personal Info tab at the top  

2. Make the necessary changes to your personal Information  

3. Click the File tab at the top and click Start next to Step 1  

4. Continue to pay for TurboTax Online  

5. Continue through the interview until, in Step 3, you've signed the consent form for MAX Assist & Defend 

6. Return to Personal Info and set your mailing address back to the correct address, as described in steps 1-3, before transmitting your return  

If you have an issue e-filing after the above steps, try this solution. 

If you entered a Foreign Address and at one time had a US address in your information and are finding the US address remaining in the background during error check - try these steps to resolve this issue -  

• Return to the My Info section and select the edit next to your mailing address 

• Change the mailing address drop-down box from Foreign address back to US address 

• You may see part of your US address still there (i.e City Name) - remove any US entries still present 

• Change the drop-down box back to Foreign address from US address 

• Reenter your current foreign address and continue to file your return 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the detailed response. This solved the problem.

madison_b

Hi, 

This issue remains for me and the fix that is typed in this thread is not working for me. Is there another way around it?

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

jordanba

Very helpful. Glad for this post. TurboTax still needs to fix this issue or at least have a warning for people who live outside the US!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies