Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We just had a baby in February of 2021. When I filed my taxes for 2020, I did not include my child as a dependent. Is it possible for me to receive the Child Tax Credit?

This is specific to the American Rescue Plan that Biden has put out. Should I emend my 2020 return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We just had a baby in February of 2021. When I filed my taxes for 2020, I did not include my child as a dependent. Is it possible for me to receive the Child Tax Credit?

You new baby does not go on your 2020 return.  The new higher Child Tax Credit is for 2021 anyway.  

New 2021 3rd Stimulus payment, Unemployment and Child Tax Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

The new Child Tax Credit is for 2021, next year, when  you file 2021 tax.    It also raises the cut off age from 17 to 18 and makes the credit $3,600 for a child under age 6.

the IRS says it is working on a plan to allow taxpayers with children born in 2021 to report this fact so they get the advance payments.  

it's not ready yet

you may want to periodically check this page for update

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies