Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vehicle registration

how can I go back and put my car registration in tax breaks?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DonaldM

Vehicle registration

Once logged into your return:

• Click Federal Taxes

• Click Deductions & Credits

• Scroll down to Cars and other things you own

• Click Start or revisit next to Car Registration Fees

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DonaldM

Vehicle registration

Once logged into your return:

• Click Federal Taxes

• Click Deductions & Credits

• Scroll down to Cars and other things you own

• Click Start or revisit next to Car Registration Fees

DEAF4REAL
Returning Member

Vehicle registration

Need more explaining about vehicle registration fee, is include every year to do that in tax prepared or just every time renewal such as once or every two years? As the Missouri, we get personal property tax every year and vehicle renewal is depend what people select year or two years license renewal. Also where the "vehicle registration fee" that we see or where find it in paperwork from the license office?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Vehicle registration

The standard deduction was doubled, for 2018 and later years. "Vehicle registration"  is unlikely to provide any tax break.  It is only an itemized deduction.  Only the personal property tax portion of the vehicle registration is deductible.  Most states do not have a personal property tax. . 

DEAF4REAL
Returning Member

Vehicle registration

that not explaining at all. I look at per.prop. record that I normally get every year and did not see the "vehicle registration fee" on it.

Vehicle registration

@DEAF4REAL wrote:

that not explaining at all. I look at per.prop. record that I normally get every year and did not see the "vehicle registration fee" on it.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information on vehicle registration fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/is-my-car-registration-fee-deductible/...

Vehicle registration

I was able to input our Vehicle Registration Fee of $577 under 2019 Federal Taxes, Deduction Credits,

Car and Other Things, Car Registration Fees. But on the Review the Car registration Fee it showing $0.

Why? Turbo Tax suggested we are taking The standard deductions.

Franco de Castro

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Vehicle registration

Vehicle registration fees are part of itemized deductions. You would only itemize if your total deductions are more than the standard deduction for your filing status. In 2019 the standard deduction amounts are as follows:

Single = $12,200

Married Filing Jointly = $24,400

Married Filing Separately = $12,200

Head of Household = $18,350 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scteach21
Returning Member

Vehicle registration

I have the same problem for 2022 - $0.00 vs 2021 - $XXX.00   Filing married.  took the Standard Deduction for 2021 and TurboTax is recommending same this year.  the fee is shown in the analysis for 2021 but not for 2022.

South Carolina

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Vehicle registration

Assuming you are also looking for a deduction for car registration fees: 

For South Carolina, you can deduct The Personal Property Tax paid to your county based on your vehicle’s value. See this help article for more information on deductible car registration fees.

To enter or edit these fees in TurboTax Online, go to Deductions and Credits in the Federal section, then scroll down and select Car Registration Fees. Select Edit/Add. Enter or edit the deductible portion of the fees in the box shown.

Otherwise, in the Desktop/Download version of TurboTax:

1. Go to Deductions and Credits
  2. Go to Cars and Other Things You Own
  3. Select Start of Update next to Car Registration Fees
  4. Answer "Yes" to "Did you pay any car registration fees"

On the next screen, enter Vehicle Make and Model and Amount

If you already entered something there, and need to delete it, click the trash can icon next to that line.

Note that the standard deductions are larger for 2022 than for 2021. 

The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly for tax year 2022 rises to $25,900 up $800 from the prior year. For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $12,950 for 2022, up $400, and for heads of households, the standard deduction will be $19,400 for tax year 2022, up $600.

You can preview your return before filing to review the forms that TurboTax has prepared from your entries and to find out how your taxes were calculated. See here for details. 

If your question is on a different topic, please start a new discussion thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies