turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Red05189320
Returning Member

Unemployment refund

If..... I have to amend my refund due to the unemployment  tax refund, why since this law was made after I efiled and was approved do I have to pay anything additional to do so, and .... if Its absolutely necessary why don't i get the same option i had where turbotax can take it out of my refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Unemployment refund

Do not amend your return to get the unemployment tax credit.  The IRS is processing those refunds and sending them to taxpayers.  Amending your return will make it take much longer.  

You do not pay to amend a return unless you added something that was not on the original return.  Some people accidentally add MAX, Audit Defense, or TurboTax Live.  If you did need to amend, you would just remove any added services first.

Refund transfer is only available for the original return.  Since amend is free, there is no need for refund transfer on the amended return.  If you amend and want extra services, then you pay those with a credit card.

To get the most up-to-date status of your income tax account use the online service described in this View Your Online Account IRS Article .If you do not have an online account, you can follow the directions to create one.

Red05189320
Returning Member

Unemployment refund

Does anyone know when? I've heard end of summer Nd I've hear n ok later than de 

Unemployment refund

NO one can give you a date for that unemployment refund.   The IRS has not provided a way to track it.   Like many of the other things the IRS is doing, this is taking longer than anticipated.  Millions of people are waiting for delayed refunds.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this  from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-and-deductions/help/am-i-eligible-for-a-new-credit-or-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unemployment refund

@Red05189320 wrote:

Does anyone know when? I've heard end of summer Nd I've hear n ok later than de 

Sorry, only the IRS can tell you that and they aren't telling.  Filing an amended return will just mess things up even more.  The IRS will pay interest on the delayed refund.

The IRS will amend any part of your return that was already filed.  If changing the UEC now makes you eligible for something else that you did not put on your original return (like maybe earned income credit), then you will have to file an amended return later to claim that.  (The IRS will fix your return but won't give you anything that was not part of your return even if you qualify.)

The problem is that, to amend to claim something like EIC after the UEC adjustment, you would have to use the numbers from your adjusted return, and not the numbers from your as-filed return that Turbotax has on file.  If you think that you can amend to claim some other benefit, wait until the UEC adjustment, and then post back to discuss how to prepare what will essentially be a second amendment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies