turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Says I can Claim a Dependent I am not Claiming on Federal Tax

Hello,

I'm a bit confused. I am completing my California State Tax return and turbotax had asked me if I had any dependents I am not claiming on my federal tax return. For this year I am not claiming my son (1 1/2 years old) as a dependent on my federal tax return as my fiance is claiming him for both Federal and State and I stated that I have an agreement she will be claiming him. It still insists that I can claim him as a dependent on my state return with no way to opt out of it. Is there something new I am unaware of? Can we both claim him as a dependent on our California Tax Form, or is that wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Wrong.  Only one person can claim a dependent.  California basically follows same rule as the federal government on qualifications for claiming a dependent.

Please see the information below for determining who can claim the dependent.

RULES FOR CLAIMING DEPENDENT

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for confirming my thought! I'm going to just not add a dependent on my CA return.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The question is asked because CA does allow you to claim someone who could be a dependent on your federal return, but you elect not to claim them so that they may get an education credit by filing their own return.  This does not appear to be your situation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes you are correct that is not my situation. Now that I think about it is there a way to stop turbotax from giving me this deduction because I am filing head of house hold (HOH) and I believe it would look odd to have a tax return with no dependent listed, but i'm filing HOH.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

It doesn’t necessarily look odd to claim Head of Household without a dependent.  People do it legitimately all the time, in situations such as yours.

However, if you do decide to change your filing status then, with TurboTax Online open, go to

1. Tax Home, then
  2. Personal Info (you may need to click Continue or Review/Edit), then,
  3. To the right of your current filing status, click Edit.  This will give you the opportunity to update your filing status.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies