turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Struttmann
Returning Member

TT 2020 appears to be not calculating mortgage amortized points correctly. TT is adding ALL of the original points, not just the points for this year. How do I fix this?

Using example numbers, let's say that I am amortizing $675 points over a 15 year loan, which is a $45 deduction this year.  That, added to $1000 of mortgage interest should give me a $1045 deduction this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

TT 2020 appears to be not calculating mortgage amortized points correctly. TT is adding ALL of the original points, not just the points for this year. How do I fix this?

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing the following error message when running the Federal Error Check - 

Check This Entry:

Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet: Limited Interest and Points must be entered

If you're experiencing  the error above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

You are correct and it will be corrected in an upcoming update.  Points must be amortized (spread out evenly) over the life of the loan when they apply to a:

- Loan on a second home

- Home equity loan, or

- Loan to refinance your home (if not used for home improvements)

Amortization is per month, not per year.

Example:

Joe incurs $2,000 in points on a 30-year loan of 360 monthly payments. The first payment is for November of 2020. Only $11.12 is deductible for 2020 ($2,000 divided by 360 = $5.56 * two months = $11.12).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Struttmann
Returning Member

I agree, but that it not what I'm seeing in TT.

Using example numbers, let's say that I am amortizing $675 points over a 15 year loan, which is a $45 deduction this year.  That, added to $1000 of mortgage interest should give me a $1045 deduction this year.  TT, however, shows the deduction to be $1675.  That is not correct.  How do I fix?

There is a known issue with how TurboTax is calculating the mortgage points.  Please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies