The IRS asked for proof of health coverage and payments. My boss charged all of my health care costs for 2019 on January 15th. Is this legal?

It depends. 

This is beyond the scope of TurboTax Individual Tax Preparation support in this forum. 

I recommend consulting the health plan administrator. It seems to raise questions about compliance with the affordability of health care offering. The self-only health coverage cannot exceed a set percentage of household income without triggering penalties assessed per employee under Section 4980(b) to the employer if the employer is an applicable large employer.

For more information, see IRS Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions Questions and Answers for legal guidance and more.

It depends. 

Either you were covered by health insurance during the period or you were not. It does not matter when the payment was made for the health insurance. Now if your employer took money for you and did not get you coverage that sounds like something bad. You should be able to get a statement (proof of coverage) from the actual provider (e.g. select health or blue cross).