turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The EV Charging Station tax credit was extended at the end of 2019 for chargers installed from 2018-2020. Where is the new form 8911? It is on the IRS site, but not here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The EV Charging Station tax credit was extended at the end of 2019 for chargers installed from 2018-2020. Where is the new form 8911? It is on the IRS site, but not here.

From 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit is scheduled to be released on February 20, 2020.

Forms release dates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8911 has already been released by the IRS, but the expected TurboTax release date is 2-20-20.  Hopefully this does not become a fiasco like Form 8936 and the staff at TurboTax has learned from the uproar of users over the integration of that form.  It took users blowing up the post to finally get an update on their software.  I hope TurboTax realizes that a good majority of those that are filing an electric vehicle credit most likely have installed a charger of some sort at home and are also going to file for the alternative fueling credit.  

Like many I have been using TurboTax for longer than I can remember and am extremely disappointed in the quality of the product this year.  (TT employees please save your platitudes and instead show us some results!)

-Mike

Received an e-mail indicating new form for charging station credit was received, but when information was loaded into Turbotax I did not receive the credit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did Turbotax download the correct form 8911 for  the credit for charging or refueling stations for energy-efficient vehicles?

Having the same issue.  TT Deluxe 2019 was updated today and the form is now available, but after entering my EV charging station costs my tax credit is $0.  Not sure why, I believe I qualify. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Maybe your income tax is zero. If so, you won't get the credit in 2019 but will carry it over to future years. 

You can view your tax return summary to see as follows:

1. Find the "Tax Tools" option on your left menu bar and click on it

2. Click on "Tools"

3. Click on "View Tax Summary"

My income tax is in many tens of thousands of dollars.

That is not the reason.

Please correct the problem!

BL10
Level 1

Same.. paying high amount of income tax but credit showing up as $0. 

Same problem. I tried deleting and reentering. Still zero.  Paying 20k+ in taxes.  Not due to insufficient tax liability!  TT please fix this issue. 

Thanks, @ThomasM125.

I hoped you were correct about the carry forward.  However, from what I read on IRS Form 8911 instructions, the credit can't be carried forward.  Below is the excerpt:

Line 19

If you can’t use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit can’t be carried back or forward to other tax years.

The credit for 2018 charging equipment is still not working, any advice? 

Looks like we need to file it manually, unless someone says otherwise.

LowellA

I see the same lack of credit on my daughter's tax return. In tracing through the forms, it looks like her credit on the electric vehicle reduces her tax liability below the alternative minimum tax. That amount (Form 6251, line 9) shows up on Form 8911, line 17 so Form 8911, line 18 is negative. The credit is then zero. Please check your Form 6251 and Form 8911 to see if you have the same situation. I'd like to know if there's an alternative.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You did a good job with the detective work. 

The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) is the likely culprit for many customers seeing their Form 8911 credit being $0.  AMT is a part of the calculation for the credit claimed on Form 8911, whether your particular tax return is subject to AMT or not. 

There is a tentative minimum tax for AMT that is calculated in the background as your return is completed.  Form 8911 compares that tentative minimum tax to the net regular tax after certain other credits have been taken into account.  If the tentative minimum tax is greater than the net regular tax, then the Form 8911 credit is disallowed.  

Unfortunately, the instructions for Form 8911 do not specifically spell this out so that it can be better understood or explained.  

​​​​​​​For your reference, here is a link to the instructions for Form 8911:  Instructions for Form 8911

@LowellA

This was very confusing.  For 2018 I did not pay the AMT, but after digging through TurboTax forms I learned that the EV Charger credit was disallowed b/c the AMT would have kicked in.  Very frustrating.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies